So you’ve booked your stay at The Hunt House in Prince Edward County, now what? We love PEC for its quaint and natural beauty, offering you beautiful beaches and an abundance of nature. The County has a blend of unique attractions like wineries, locally owned mom and pop shops, and so much more. Whether you’re a lover of the outdoors, a foodie, or an art aficionado, we’ve compiled a list of things to do and see for everyone including the whole family.
1) Visit Wineries/Distilleries/ Breweries
Prince Edward County (PEC) is the ultimate destination for liquor lovers looking for a blend of stunning views and amazing spirits. Get ready to uncork some fun and explore the must-visit wineries and distilleries in PEC. Some of our faves include:
- Hillier Creek Estates - One of the longest running wineries in Prince Edward County. With a vast 50 acres and a vineyard that spans ten acres; growing Gamay, Vidal and Baco Noir grapes. The centerpiece of their property is a beautifully restored 160-year-old barn transformed into our winery, tasting room, special occasions room, and retail store.
- Sandbanks Estate Winery - Situated along the picturesque shores of Lake Ontario, in the heart of beautiful Prince Edward County. Sandbanks offers a tasting room and boutique, barrel room, unique tasting experiences, large outdoor picnic area and tasting bars with a season packed with lively events. A summer day at sandbanks is welcoming, relaxing, fun, and the perfect spot for your PEC wine country visit.
- TerraCello Winery - If you’re looking for wine and Italian, TerraCello is an ultra small scale boutique family winery, making small batches of natural wine, and in house made food with imported ingredients. Enjoy a quaint Tuscan courtyard, indoor wood fireplace, lounge, tasting areas, barrel room, and yes, a pizza oven from Italy.
- Kinsip House of Fine Spirits - We carry their delicious spirits and bitters in the shop and there is a reason why! Being PEC’s only distillery, their focus is on making high quality spirits by hand with exceptional ingredients. Their location includes a sipping patio that is open to try, and all spirits are available to purchase. Open 7 days a week in the summertime so don’t miss this local gem!
- Slake Brewery: the view is beautiful amazing outdoor space (make sure to catch a sunset here!)and often have a pop up food truck
- Parsons Brewery: AMAZING food, great beer, lovely outdoor space, very kid friendly
- The Old Third Winery: beautiful barn, great wine, and if they are serving pasta make sure you get some!
- Gillingham Brewery- Great outdoor space for summer and fall ( they have heaters!) usually spinning records, delicious snacks and top tier beer.
2) Explore Nature
If you're a nature enthusiast seeking tranquility, wanting to slow down and be grounded, and gorgeous picturesque views, here are some must-visit spots in PEC.
- Sandbanks Provincial Park - A paradise for beach lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. It boasts stunning sandy beaches, clear turquoise waters, and breathtaking sand dunes, making it a dream destination for sunbathing, swimming, and picnicking. Don't forget to catch a mesmerizing sunset over Lake Ontario before you call it a day.
- North Beach Provincial Park - You know we love a beach, North Beach is for all nature lovers and beach enthusiasts. Its expansive shoreline, soft sand, and crystal clear waters, offers a serene and tranquil experience away from the city. Whether you're up for a stroll, a refreshing swim, or a beachside picnic with friends and family, North Beach has all the ingredients for a relaxing day in the sun.
- Little Bluff Conservation Area - This charming coastal gem offers breathtaking views of Lake Ontario, hiking trails for your next forest bath, and be sure to bring your binoculars if you like birdwatching. Be sure to visit the pebble beach and enjoy a little walk with friends and family.
- Prince Edward Point National Wildlife Area - Relax and rewind at Prince Edward Point, a haven for wildlife. With paved trails ready for your walk and talks, get ready to see a rare bird or two, or head to the beach for a dip.
3) Try Local Restaurants
From farm-to-table eateries to charming cafes, here are some exceptional restaurants in PEC that will tantalize your taste buds.
- The Old Greenhouse Ice Cream Shop - Step into the vintage-inspired greenhouse and choose from a variety of mouthwatering flavours. - our favourite for soft serve!
- Stella’s Eatery - This spot serves up a mouthwatering menu of homemade comfort food with a twist. From their famous gourmet burgers and loaded fries to desserts, Stella's has something to satisfy every craving.
- Flame + Smith - From food-fired cooking to craft cocktails, Flame + Smith is a truly memorable dining experience. Offering juicy steaks and yummy seafood to flavorful vegetarian options, their menu caters to all taste buds
- La Condesa - A vibrant eatery brings the flavors of Mexico to your plate with their mouthwatering selection of tacos, burritos, and other Mexican delights. Taco lovers, this is for you!
- Creekside Cafe- Yummy casual local brunch foods located in Wellington.
- Piccolina Mercato- for Italian coffee, treats, and takeaways for the beach/ prepared foods to cook at home.
- Flossie’s Sandwiches- a casual lunch spot, the BEST sandwiches in the county in our opinion, located in Carsons Garden market( make sure you check out the goats!), outdoor seating.
- Bermuda - Casual lunch or dinner depending on what you are looking for, amazing fresh food, great drinks, fun staff, very accommodating with dietary restrictions
- Slickers - Located in Bloomfield and Picton as well, the best homemade ice cream- our favourite flavour is Campfire (tastes like burnt marshmallows)
- Bocado - Spanish Tapas located in Picton amazing atmosphere and even better food
- The Royal Hotel - we love a casual lunch or drink in the lobby bar, feel free to have a fancier dinner in their dining room. Cocktails are 5 stars.
- Adega Wine Bar - Located in Consecon, they have a rotating chef and do delicious wine tastings/ charcuterie boards
4) Indulge in Art
If you’re an art aficionado with a hunger for local art, PEC has got you covered. Here are some spots to explore:
- The Local Store - A treasure trove of unique finds celebrating and made by local artisans and artists. From handmade crafts and artisanal products to stylish clothing and accessories, your shopping experience will be a unique and memorable one.
- Oeno Gallery - Immerse yourself in creativity at Oeno Gallery. This cool gallery showcases a large collection of contemporary Canadian and international art. From stunning paintings and sculptures to captivating photography and mixed media works, there's something to inspire and captivate every art lover.
- 2gallery - Another gallery showcasing contemporary art. This intimate gallery showcases a carefully curated collection of works from emerging and established artists. From paintings to unique sculptures and innovative installations, 2gallery offers a diverse range of artistic expressions.
5) Attend a Festival or Event
PEC comes alive in the summer offering vibrant events that satisfy all your interests including live shows, festivals, and markets. Click here to see the full list of events and see which ones pique your interest. Going to events can be super fun for the whole family and allows you to engage with the local community.
- Base 31 - an old military base turned concert venue, event space and home to over 70 makers.
- Wellington Farmers Market - located at The Eddie is a fun way to spend your Saturday! Local vendors, lots of yummy food and drink, flowers, pottery the list is endless. Its on an apple orchard so picnic under a tree for lunch once you’ve shopped the market!
- Picton Farmers Market - on Sundays, Located in the parking lot of Town Hall in Picton. If you miss Saturday in Wellington, lots of the same vendors are here as well.
- FREE Yoga in the park hosted by The Royal Hotel - Located in Benson Park in Picton at 9am every Sunday from June 1- Labour day.
6) Olivia's Favourite Farm Stands
- Haggermans Farm in Picton has a great selection of everything- lots of different squash but our favourite thing are their chunky chocolate chip cookies/ pies, check the hours of the bakery and make sure you go when they are open!
- Van Grootheest Farm 48 Stanley Street, has so many great things to offer, the highlight here is the flowers! Gladiolas as tall as you and sunflowers as big as your face! Make sure to stop here ( and check out the horses behind the farms stand!)
- Laundry Farm so many types of tomatoes! Go here for a quality selection of produce and things you've never seen before!